Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Waiting To Exhale – Different Decade –Same Black Man problems


Ahhhhh yes… that wonderful week after Christmas –during Kwanzaa – and before New Years when one is afforded that rare opportunity to watch a few movies. As I am in the process of writing a stage play and screenplay simultaneously that has black women’s roles – don’t ask, yes I’m crazy. I decided to catch up on some “sistah” movies. First out the box Waiting to Exhale. A movie about 4 friends with relationship problems. Each sistah’s relationship with her man is worse than the next. I remember watching the movie when it first debuted in 1995, but I didn’t remember anything about the movie, except that it was enjoyable. Of course I was 15 years younger. Now that I’m 15 years older and hopefully wiser - Hello, I wrote the Soulful Vagina Playbook - that movie didn’t go over to well with me. That’s probably because I once saw myself and so many people I know, or read about, in those real life roles with the wack men in that movie.


The wack men. A drunk, drug dealer. A cheater. On the down low. Married. Married to White women. Inadequate, with ugly inward and outward appearance. Prison? Don’t recall that any of them were incarcerated.

Thankfully, I am no longer involved with a wack-black man. Can’t say the same about a few of my sistah-friends though.

Here’s to the New Year. Hoping my black, brown, yellow and white sistah-friends find true happiness – whatever that means.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
United States
Disclosure: We are a professional review site.